Friday, October 14, 2011

A Special Birthday

After much contemplation, I have decided to start blogging. Here goes nothing!


Today would have been the 78th birthday of my Grandma Bev. We remember her every day, but today is a special one. As much as the day brings back the sadness of losing her, it also reminds us of the wonderful memories we were fortunate enough to share with her. On one of her last birthdays she spent with us, we all gave her a new computer. Within no time, she was on e-mail, ordering coffee (yes, keurig coffee) online, and frequently checking the local weather on weather.com. I'll never forget an e-mail I received on my birthday that was in all capital letters, each a different color (and about 20 exclamation points), wishing me a happy birthday.


I often tell myself that I wish she could be here. I wish she could see my brother heading off to college, myself pursuing a teaching career, my sister continuing hockey, my little cousins growing up, my cousins' new babies (Gram's first "greats"), my dad's humorous jokes at dinner, and so much more. However, then I remind myself that although she may not physically be here with us, she's seeing all of it. She's watching happily, and with a lot of pride. I know she is with each of us every day. 


I know she is happy to see me finally "finding my place". My job has offered me a sense of happiness that I haven't felt in a while, and I know she is happy to see me that way again. I feel as if she had a part in placing me in a school with such a supportive staff, who are there for me every step of the way as I experience my first year of teaching. 


Grandma Bev was an angel on Earth and now continues to be an angel in Heaven. Although we wish we could celebrate her birthday with her, we know she is celebrating with her many loved ones up there, as we will honor her together down here. 


Lastly, to Gram--you never put yourself before anyone else and you had a bigger heart than anyone I've ever met. You lived your life for other people, and you are truly admired by all for that. I miss you and think about you every day, but I know I'll be okay because I have the most amazing angel watching over me. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment